This is a major release which introduces the GATT Client functionality. It
also aligns BLE_API with builds using our new package manager: yotta
Many APIs have seen some redesign. We encourage our users to pay attention to
the changes and migrate appropriately over time. We've also taken care to
ensure that existing code continues to work the same way. There's more
documentation in the form of comment headers for APIs to explain proper usage;
in many cases comment headers suggest alternative use of APIs.
* Introduce GattClient. This includes functionality for service-discovery,
connections, and attribute-reads and writes. You'll find a demo program for
LEDBlinker on the mbed.org Bluetooth team page to use the new APIs. Some of
the GATT client functionality hasn't been implemented yet, but the APIs have
* Most APIs in the abstract base classes like Gap and GattServer return
BLE_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED. Previously many APIs were pure-virtual, which did
not permit partial ports to compile.
* We've added a new abstract base class for SecurityManager. All security
related APIs have been moved into that.
* BLEDevice has been renamed as BLE. A deprecated alias for BLEDevice is
available to support existing code.
* There has been a major cleanup of APIs under BLE. APIs have now been
categorized as belonging to Gap, GattServer, GattClient, or SecurityManager.
There are accessors to get references for Gap, GattServer, GattClient, and
SecurityManager. A former call to ble.setAddress(...) is now expected to be
achieved with ble.gap().setAddress(...).
* We've cleaned up our APIs, and this has resulted in dropping some APIs like
* We've also dropped GattServer::initializeGattDatabase(). THis was added at
some point to support controllers where a commit point was needed to
indicate when the application had finished constructing the GATT database.
This API would get called internally before Gap::startAdvertising(). We now
expect the underlying port to do the equivalent of initializeGattDatabase()
implicitly upon Gap::startAdvertising().
* The callback for BLE.onTimeout() now receives a TimeoutSource_t to indicate
the cause of the timeout. This is perhaps the only breaking API change. We
expect it to have very little disruptive effect.
* We've added a version of Gap::disconnect() which takes a connection handle.
The previous API (which did not take a connection handle) has been
deprecated; it will still work for situations where there's only a single
active connection. We hold on to that API to allow existing code to migrate
to the new API.