The module is updated to comply with the changes to BLE API regarding correct
shutdown functionality. The following changes are introduced to ble-nrf51822:
* Calls to the old static function shutdown in Gap, GattClient, GattServer and
SecurityManager are removed.
* The cleanup function in Gap, GattClient, GattServer and SecurityManager is
renamed to `reset()` and made public.
* The static references inside nRF5xGap, nRF5xGattClient, nRF5xGattServer and
nRF5xSecurityManager to objects of their own class are moved to nRF5xn.
* The static getInstance accessors in nRF5xGap, nRF5xGattClient,
nRF5xGattServer and nRF5xSecurityManager are removed and their functionality is
moved to the implemented virtual accessors in nRF5xn i.e. getGap(),
* A static function Instance is added to nRF5xn class to make the transport
object accessible across the module.
Improve the shutdown functionality, such that a call to ble.shutdown() from
the user application clears the API and nRF5x state and NOT only the
SoftDevice. To achieve this the following changes are introduced:
* Add a protected member cleanup() to nRF5xGap, nRF5xGattClient,
nRF5xGattServer, nRF5xSecurityManager and nRF5xServiceDiscovery.
* Modify the shutdown() implementation in nRF5xn such that it also calls the
static member shutdown() exposed by the BLE API in Gap.h, SecurityManager.h,
GattClient.h and GattServer.h.
* Modify nRF5xGattClient, nRF5xGattServer and nRF5xSecurityManager
classes so that they dynamically create their respective objects only if
needed. Previously the GattClient, GattServer and SecurityManager objects were
declared as static, which means that they were always present even though they
were not always needed. This increases memory consumption unnecessarily.
Furthermore, pointers to the object instances are stored in static members of
the classes as specified by the BLE API base classes. This ensures that
calls to shutdown do not require calls to getInstance() functions that would
otherwise result in undesired memory allocations.
* nRF5xGap object is always needed, so this remains allocated statically. But
the reference in Gap is pointed to this object.
The shutdown procedure is as follows:
1. The user calls ble.shutdown() which executes the code in nRF5xn::shutdown()
1. The SoftDevice is shutdown
1. The static members of Gap.h, SecurityManager.h, GattClient.h and
GattServer.h are called to clean up their own state.
If at any point an error occur during the last step, BLE_ERROR_INVALID_STATE is
S110 compatibility is already present, but this patch adds proper handling
of observer/central related features:
* Gap::startScan will return BLE_ERRROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (instead of
* nRF5xGattClient uses the default GattClient implementation when S110 is
in use. All if its methods return NOT_IMPLEMENTED.
Example: for an application that acts as both a central and a peripheral,
using S110 will make the ble.gap().startScan() call return
BLE_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED, and advertisement features will continue
In addition, with GCC, this patch will free 344 bytes of RAM and 2504
bytes of flash.